Hey people! I know I haven’t posted anything in quite a while but I’m trying to get back into it. BUT not here. I’ve decided to actually use my real name for my art from here on out as I can’t remember any reasons/if I had any even for going by a pseudonym. It’s just confusing really. So if you have any interest in my posts, you can see them over at sarahbonell.tumblr.com. Hope to see you there :)
Ack! 2 months and 2 days since my last 5 minute drawing. That’s totally the definition of daily! Isn’t it? And in that time I seem to have misplaced my colourful sharpies. Hopefully I will be forgiven if I share this fun fact: octopuses have 9 brains! 9! Whaaaaaaat?
This is a photo of me stagediving at LeakyCon. It was taken by the lovely and charming Evanna Lynch. Life is weird/beautiful.
Anyway, while I was crowdsurfing—I was out there for quite a while—I had time to think about some things:
1. The Harry Potter fandom is uniquely wonderful, and the greatest luck of my professional life is probably that so many HP fans became early nerdfighters, because the whole culture of nerdfighteria came not primarily from us but from those early nerdfighters.
2. Although it is hard for me to express it in a meaningful, individual way, I am really grateful to everyone who identifies as a nerdfighter. We’ve done so much amazing stuff together that none of us could ever have done alone.
3. I love being a nerdfighter, and I love being a nerd, and I seeing people be so honestly themselves is such an inspiration to me.
4. How are all these people—many of whom are very small—holding me aloft?
5. The metaphor here is too obvious.
6. There’s probably a better, more interesting metaphor that I’m not thinking of.
7. I guess the real metaphor is not you-can-only-make-stuff-if-people-hold-you-up; the real metaphor here is that together-things-happen-that-can-never-happen-alone, which is a very important thing for an introverted and socially anxious person like me to realize. I guess these days this is a politically charged statement, but it seems to me manifestly true: You make nothing alone. Human beings are not mere competitors, and human life is not merely competition. We are collaborators. To be human is to catch the falling person.
"You make nothing alone." I feel like this applies to most/all things, but specifically to art. I may be the one holding the paint brush, but that’s not all that goes into a painting. So I’d like to use this cheesy moment to thank everyone. As school and tuition deadlines approach, I’m realizing again how many people are supporting me. I like you people. DFTBA.
I kinda wanna make Stencil Saturday a thing…but I’m sure we’ve all realized by now how good I am at keeping a schedule.
A coloured one will follow shortly (hopefully).
I’m running out of ways to say “this is my weekly contribution”, but here it is!
Avast Ye! Steve the Pirate doesn’t look like he’s got his sea legs when compared to these more seasoned pirates, Captain Hook and Captain Shakespeare. (Shiver me timbers, this landlubber may be a little stuck in the crossover week. Please don’t make me walk the plank for it!)
Ahoy, mateys! I’ve made my weekly contribution to the collab tumblr.
Yesterday was my little sister’s prom. Her friend gave up on her heels pretty quickly. This was about half hour into the pre-prom. And that is why I prefer wedges. Or you know…no heels.
And this is my contribution this week for the collab tumblr I’m in. Also, I’ll try to get back to the 5 min drawings this week. I may have missed one or two :/
They’re both wrong! It’s a wizard, Harry!
This is my week’s contribution to the collab tumblr I’m in. This week’s theme: crossovers. And yes, I know David Tennant isn’t that tanned, but I’m still getting used to watercolours.